SPUG: Re: Closing a window from perl

John Cokos jcokos at ccs.net
Tue Jul 11 19:32:16 CDT 2000

Do you want to nuke the window as soon as they hit
the submit button, or do you want your .cgi program
to do it's magic, and then nuke the window after it finishes?

If you want to nuke the window immediately on submit,
then you'll likely have some problems, as your program
needs a place to exit....but here's how you'd do it:

    <FORM NAME="whatever" ACTION="/path/to/program.cgi" onSubmit="self.close()">

A more elegant way is to have the form submit to your .cgi
and have your cgi send this as it's response:

print "Content-Type: text/html\n\n";
print "self.close()";
exit 0;

You could, of course make the return not simply close the window,
automatically as that example does, but instead give the user
a button to hit (so that they know your .cgi did it's thing)

John

  John Cokos, President / CEO: iWeb Inc.
  http://www.iwebsys.com
  jcokos at ccs.net