SPUG: Password Protection?

Aryeh "Cody" Sherr asherr at cs.unm.edu
Mon Dec 4 15:41:27 CST 2000

there are a few different approaches you can take:

basic authentication. this sends the password in what amounts to plain
text. ok for casual stuff, but people get in if they want.

basic authentication over https (secure http) connection. better, but you
have to start in secure mode.

md5 digest authentication. this is more secure, and harder to implement.

rfc 2617 is entirely about these 2 forms of http based
authentication/authorization.

application level authentication. the username/password checking is done
by the application. the user logs in through a form, and then a session is
kept through the application about what the user can do and where thay can
go. this should be done over https, or at least through unique session ids
that get passed around, and are asssociated with the user. the sessions
should eventually expire.

hope this is useful.

cody

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org