SPUG: Activestate's PPM vs. CPAN.pm?

Matt Tucker tuck at whistlingfish.net
Wed Aug 2 18:21:38 CDT 2000

-- El JoPe Magnifico <jope-spug at n2h2.com> spake thusly:

> On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Colin Meyer wrote:
>> One thing that I noticed is that it includes ppm, activestate's perl
>> package manager.  I have only used ppm a little, but it seems to
>> provide rpm style packaging for cpan's .tar.gz files.
>
> So what's the difference between PPM and CPAN.pm?
> Just packaging style?

PPM offers pre-compiled binaries. On Win32, this is quite an advantage,
since the user isn't required to have dev tools installed. On Linux,
this a good deal more dubious, considering the wide range of
installations available. Having distribution-specific
rpms/debs/whatever (or just using CPAN.pm) makes more sense to me.

- Matt

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org