SPUG: perl's sticky lvalue bug

Sean Ruddy Sean at DigiDot.com
Tue Aug 1 10:38:48 CDT 2000

Found this on another list:
http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/183/1998/2/0/1015933/
              FROM: Tim Bunce
              DATE: 02/27/1998 04:04:59
              SUBJECT: RE:  unwarrented bind errors ?

                  *** From dbi-users -- To unsubscribe, see the end of this
message. ***

               > From: Phil R Lawrence < prl2 at Lehigh.EDU >
               >
               > AIX, DBD::Oracle, DBI 0.90
               >
               > First error:
               > -> execute for DBD::Oracle::st
(DBI::st=HASH(0x20201810)~0x20201798
               > `ERIUHRE8O7` `AND coll = AS`)
               > Uncaught exception from user code:
               >         Can`t bind non-scalar value (currently) at
./cobolrepl.pl line 150,

               > Code is not trying to bind a non-scalar!

              Sort of. It`s probably perl`s "sticky lvalue" bug getting in the
way.
              (Worked-around in the next DBD::Oracle release.)

               > try saying   $sth1->execute(scalar $letr, scalar $coll_sql)
or do the same
               > thing on another line and it *still* gives same error.

              Try saying     $sth1->execute("$letr", "$coll_sql");

              Tim.

http://www.fugue.com/dbi
              If you are without web access, or if you are having trouble with
the web page,
              please send mail to  dbi-request at fugue.com .   Please try to use
the web
              page first - it will take a long time for your request to be
processed by hand.

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org