SPUG: scalar(@array)

Alan E. Derhaag aderhaa at n2h2.com
Thu Apr 13 18:31:28 CDT 2000

"R. Christianson" <ryannn at u.washington.edu> writes:

> What about doing $#array?
>
>     Ryan Christianson
>

> On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, Jeremy Mates wrote:
>
> > The count you were probably expecting to see can be gained by doing
> > something like:
> >
> > for ( @array ) {
> >     $count++ if defined;
> > }
> > print $count, "\n";

The $#array only returns the number of the last array entry and
disregards all the undef entries.  I think there may be a problem with
the `for (@array)' is that it will quit at the first undef value..
the trick would be to count only those entries that are not undef..

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org
 SUBSCRIBE/UNSUBSCRIBE: Replace "action" below by subscribe or unsubscribe
           Email to majordomo at pm.org: "action" spug-list your_address