SPUG: Introducing me + dumb newbie question

Michael Herrewig mherrewig at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 23 13:13:38 CDT 1999

First, I'd like to introduce myself.  My name is Mike Herrewig.  I've just
recently moved to Everett from Baraboo, WI.  I've been using information
systems since 1994 when I joined the Army.  Since, I have had experience
with almost everything.  If it has a monitor and keyboard I've probably used

A few weeks ago I began my rigorous perl self-education with "Learning Perl"
by the wonderful people at ORA.  I have no previous programming experience
besides a little BASIC(more specifically Qbasic), with a dash of Pascal and
some bash shell thrown in for flavor.

Anyway, here's my question pertaining to Chapter 5, Hashes.  Exercise 2 at
the end of the chapter challenged me to the point of total confusion.  I
tried for a couple of hours to figure it out myself before giving up and
looking at the answer in the back.  After seeing the answer I was even more
confused.  For those who don't have the book I'll include the exercise and
code below:

2. Write a program that reads a series of words with one word per line until
end-of-file, then prints a summary of how many times each word was seen.

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
#typos are mine :)
print "Please enter a few words, one word per line (^D to end)\n";
chomp(@words = <STDIN>);
foreach $word (@words) {
foreach $word (keys %count) {
   print "$word was seen $count{$word} times.\n";

If anybody can answer 1 or more of the following questions, it would be
wonderfully appreciated to the point where I may consider sending money:)

1. at which point is the %count actually created and what values are being
injected(I'm assuming numbers)?
2. does %count only contain keys? the book mentioned nothing of this
3. is there a perl IDE available to set breaks and step through the code and
view variable info intermittantly like Qbasic (lame i know)?
4. do I read the perldocs with man or perldoc?
5. anybody have a jr. SA job available for a hard-working, fast learning,
enthusiastic person?

If you've made it this far, thank you.  I look forward to meeting some of
you at the next meeting (if I'm still invited after sending this blatantly
self-serving message :)  I bow to the perl gurus.