[Southampton-pm] September meeting

Vytautas D vytdau at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 15:57:15 PDT 2014

Meeting went fantastically well! we had 9 Perl hackers !

for those that missed:
- YAPC::EU videos are online ( https://www.youtube.com/user/yapceu/videos
), great quality, but no lighting talks :(
- your keyboard might be saving 2 MB worth of your typing !
- Tim's great Southampton.io idea!
- Tim showed us an example of using DATA section, seek'ing it ( seek DATA 0
0 ) and getting your source code. This caused some discussions, but what
happens at Southampton.pm, stays at Southampton.pm :P
- somewhat discussed this
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mojolicious/Nz1VZ7z1MFA
- Discussed pumpio!
- Talked about Cap'n Proto ( http://kentonv.github.io/capnproto/ ). James
and Tim are writing Perl bindings for it.
- Talked about -> Recruitment in Perl - The State of the Perl Recruitment
Market - Rick Deller ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O9V3-lZUOI ), which
lead to discuss Dave's Cross letter, which I haven't yet read. But it's on
my TODO list! :))
- Talked about 'Welcome to C-Day Is Coming'. I think they took her video
out of youtube, but see slide 32 in
http://www.liz.nl/C-DayIsComingYAPCEU.pdf ).
- Talked about Creative Perlmongership - Salve J. Nilsen (sjn) (
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar0UFsgvAcE ), can we organise a trip ? :D
- and a lot more. Be there October the 1st!

Finally, I would highly recommend everyone to watch -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUp1mQx61No !!

See you 1st of October or sooner!

-Vytas
btw, I am finally using twitter -> @vytasdauksa (