Welcome to Southampton.pm

Pap Taylor pap at sotonians.org.uk
Fri Jun 30 05:39:25 CDT 2000

Hello,

The nice thing about the site is that it won't be hosted on Quik's servers,
which given the uncertain future of the machine in the UK is a good thing.

Happyfunball has got a MySQL server running on it.  I'm unsure of its
status right now, but I'll be mailing our friendly neighbourhood admin to
see if we can get access.  I'm not a big fan of text files.

I envisage a site where both the navigation and main content is dynamically
generated from the DB.

This is helped in no small part by the fact that our new webserver has
compiled-in support for mod_perl - which will mean that our Perl calls will
have less of an impact on the system than they would have previously.

That, coupled with MySQL - should make for a relatively nippy site - even
though it's on the East Coast of the USA.

So yep, I think a dynamic site would be well worth creating.

Pap.