[singapore-pm] [gaurav at ggvaidya.com: Singapore Perl Mongers meetup this month?]

Gaurav Vaidya gaurav at ggvaidya.com
Thu Jul 23 23:15:23 PDT 2009

Hey everybody,

2009/7/20 Patrick Haller <singapore-pm at haller.ws>:
> We can try to get one of the rooms at the Lee Kong Chian library
> downtown.
>
>  1] They have seminar rooms that seem hardly ever used in the evening
>  2] Strengthening our contacts with the good people at the NLB = awesome
>  3] Kopitiam next door or Bugis hawker for post-meeting goodies / durian

I was thinking about that, too, but those seminar rooms aren't in the
NLB's facilities list (http://tinyurl.com/sg-nl-facilities), and
they've got a line in there about only working with registered
organizations. I'm sure we can talk them into it, though.

But for the first meetup, I think we should go for something a bit
more relaxed. We'll also be publicising this to other FOSS groups, so
we don't know how many people will show up - having a casual meeting
to begin with means we'll get a good estimate of the number of people
who'll show up for the next one, which we could hold at the NL or
somewhere equally sophisticated.

Barring other suggestions, I've narrowed down our options to, in order
of preference:
- http://pitstopcafeinfo.blogspot.com/ I've never been here, but I
love their website. Central, and seems like a reasonably relaxed place
to get some drinks and have a chat. The boardgames aren't that big a
deal, since there's a proper boardgame meetup later that evening at
Bugis (I'll pass details around when I know more!).
- http://www.earshot.com.sg/ I've been a very long time ago, and I
remember it as being a nice if slightly expensive place. Central, and
last time I went, not too many people were around, so it'll be handy
for loud chats, impromtu talks or passionate discussions.
- http://geekterminal.com/web/ I've visited; decent place, with good
wireless and powerplugs if anybody wants to make a Hackathon of it.
Central, too. Likely to be busy.

I figured I'd give you all a chance to vote up or down any of these
places before approaching them, so one or more of these might not be
available on August 1. I'll confirm with one of these places early
next week. Meanwhile, I'll visit the first two places over this
weekend and check them out.

If you really like or dislike one of these places, or think we can
find a better place to go to, speak up! Of course, we will all meet up
somewhere, and if you don't like the place, we can always go somewhere
else from there.

cheers,
Gaurav