[SP-pm] Fwd: [Perlweekly] The current Perl Weekly News - Issue #16

Alexei Znamensky russoz at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 04:31:53 PST 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Gabor Szabo <gabor em szabgab.com>
Date: 14 November 2011 08:45
Subject: [Perlweekly] The current Perl Weekly News - Issue #16
To: perlweekly em perlweekly.com

   Perl Weekly <http://perlweekly.com/>

Issue #16 - November 14, 2011
 You can read the newsletter on the web<http://perlweekly.com/archive/16.html>,
if you prefer.

Hi,

I am sending this from London where I attended the UK Perl Workshop. It was
great. There were lots of interesting talks that I missed because I was
giving a 4 hour training.

There was also a social event after, that I enjoyed very much. There were
some 220-250 people who came to the event.

GCI - TPF needs your help to locate teenagers who would like to participate
in the Google Code-in and do Perl related projects.

Now to the articles:

Headlines

Perl Accepted For GCI - Now We Just Need Students <http://bit.ly/viCCgH>
The Perl Foundation was accepted to participate in the Google Code-in. Now
it is time to find students between the ages 13-17 years who are interested
to participate. That's where The Perl Foundation needs your help. See the
post of Paul Johnson (pjcj) with details.

Articles

Famous Perl One-Liners Explained, Part VII: Handy Regular
Expressions<http://bit.ly/uxndQQ>
Peteris Krumins continues his series about Perl one-liners. This time
looking at regular expressions. Some of them are useful, for others there
are CPAN modules that serve the purpose better than a regex.

Graphing time-based data in Perl <http://bit.ly/szqSDZ>
David Precious (bigpersh) wanted to produce some graphs for a Dancer based
application. After looking around on CPAN he settled with Chart::Strip.
There is a small example code and the resulting graph in the blog.

Intelligent caching for all time statistics <http://bit.ly/vaTvqX>
Sebastian Willing show how to use Memcached to keep already computed data
in memory in a way that survives even a restart to the web-server.

Discussion

Confident Code Using Systematic, Automated Input
Validation<http://bit.ly/vctk10>
John Wang takes some ideas from Ruby and shows how to implement 'confident
code' in Moose. It's up for discussion to figure out if this is a good or a
bad way to show the power of Moose.

Technical Quality is an Insurance Policy <http://bit.ly/vjIuMk>
When you copy-paste some code, do you create 'technical debt', 'friction'
or are you driving up the premium you pay for your 'technical insurance'?
It's only a question of metaphor but explaining the problem in a way that
is easier to understand for business people is important. Hence the article
of Jeff Thalhammer on the Moder Perl Books web site.

Marpa v. Perl regexes: some numbers <http://bit.ly/uCjJ7i>
Jeffrey Kegler pitches his Marpa engine against the regex engine of Perl.
He says that in some cases Marpa is much faster than any regex could be.
Then a discussion with Tom Christiansen makes the whole article even more
interesting.

Slides

London Perl Workshop - Learning Perl Together <http://bit.ly/tn4z5w>
Ian Norton (idn) has published his slides from the 'Learning Perl Together'
workshop he gave at the London Perl Workshop

Modern Core Perl Slides <http://bit.ly/swRydd>
Dave Cross gave a very good 90 minute long talk about what is new in Perl
5.10, 5.12, 5.14 and even in the not-yet-released 5.16. He is sharing his
slides here.

Code

Caching pages - Beyond Firebug to NYTProf <http://bit.ly/ug9WFU>
Dave Jacoby shows an example how NYTProf lead him to caching result pages
reducing the response time by more than 50%. It was interesting to see now
as I am planning to do the same with my simple blog engine.

Perl Tutorial

Perl Tutorial: Scalar and List context in Perl, the size of an
array<http://bit.ly/u5nvm4>

Perl 6

Slides from the Optimizing Rakudo Perl 6 talk <http://bit.ly/rZ76XX>
Jonathan Worthington published his slides.

Other

Fun with Perl <http://bit.ly/uXDqko>
A couple of days ago Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes mentioned to me that the 'Fun
with Perl' mailing list suddenly woke up. Judging from the archive it isn't
a busy list but a very rewarding one. Assuming you like that kind of fun.

What I learned from YAPC::Brasil <http://bit.ly/vEh97N>
brian d foy describes his experience at a conference where most of the
talks are in a language he does not understand and also finds time to
introduce Data::Printer. Nice pictures too.

LPW2011 : my thoughts overall <http://bit.ly/vkWNYq>
David Precious (bigpersh) reports about the London Perl Workshop.

Perl Training

Public Perl training in London <http://bit.ly/vxEzmy>
Dave Cross is running an 'Intermediate Perl' and an 'Advanced Perl' course
in February 2012 in central London.

Events

Saint Perl 2011 Conference <http://bit.ly/rRwocn>
December 18, 2011, Saint-Petersburg, Russia

The Perl Oasis <http://bit.ly/pWbUmU>
January 13-15, 2012, Orlando, Florida, USA

German Perl workshop <http://bit.ly/uAkkog>
March 5-7, 2012, Erlangen, Germany

You joined the Perl Weekly to get weekly e-mails about the Perl programming
language and related topics.
Want to see more? See the archives <http://perlweekly.com/archive/> of all
the issues.
Reading this as a non-subscriber? click here to join
us<http://perlweekly.com/>free of charge.
(C) Copyright Gabor Szabo <http://szabgab.com/>. The articles are copyright
the respective authors.
don't want to receive mails any more.

Alexei "RUSSOZ" Znamensky | russoz EM gmail com | http://russoz.org
GPG fingerprint = 42AB E78C B83A AE31 7D27  1CF3 C66F B5C7 71CA 9F3C
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alexeiz | http://github.com/russoz
"I don't know... fly casual!" -- Han Solo