[SP-pm] Fwd: [Perlweekly] The current Perl Weekly News - Issue #12

Alexei Znamensky russoz at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 04:46:24 PDT 2011

Repassando...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Gabor Szabo <gabor em szabgab.com>
Date: 17 October 2011 05:47
Subject: [Perlweekly] The current Perl Weekly News - Issue #12
To: perlweekly em perlweekly.com

   Perl Weekly <http://perlweekly.com/>

Issue #12 - October 17, 2011
 You can read the newsletter on the web<http://perlweekly.com/archive/12.html>,
if you prefer.

Hi,

I am currently on vacation in Budapest so I had limited time to collect the
news. I hope it sill will prove to be interesting.

Reminder: The German Perl Workshop is this week. See details below.

and now to the news items:

Headlines

TPF 2011Q4: Call for Grant Proposals <http://bit.ly/oO4wdS>
Alberto Simões announced the call for proposals of The Perl Foundation grant
committee. The dead-line is 15 of November.

Articles

DBIx::Inspector Schema Loader <http://bit.ly/qmfU7q>
Forward Ever shows how to use DBIx::Inspector to load a database schema via
a DBI database handle and then how to analyse it. Listing tables, primary
keys, columns. etc...

Perl, C and Dr. Dennis Ritchie <http://bit.ly/rapWBS>
Kirk Kimmel says farewell to Dennis Ritchie the creator of Unix and the C
programming language with plenty of links and references to Perl.

Announcing Marpa::XS 0.016000 <http://bit.ly/phnYZm>
The Marpa parser for grammars is now fully implemented in C. Jeffrey Kegler
keeps working on Marpa which is great. He also keeps blogging that makes it
easy to report about the new releases.

Adventures with SOAP using Perl: Part 0 ( prelude ) <http://bit.ly/pSmpuF>
This is the prelude to a 3-part series by Caleb Cushing (xenoterracide)
explaining how he implemented a Perl API to the SOAP API of CyberSource
which is an on-line payment processing system.

Slides

Carton CPAN dependency manager <http://bit.ly/qhIITP>
When you deploy an application you want to make sure you have the exact same
dependencies on all the machines you are using. Tatsuhiko Miyagawa gave a
presentation about Carton, his new tool for dependency management.

Perl 6

Macros in Perl 6 - what are they, really? <http://bit.ly/rsIvD2>
Carl Mäsak describes the two kinds of macros the world knows for programming
languages: C pre-processor macros and LISP macros that make the language
super powerful. Then he goes on and shows how AST macros work in Perl 6.

Other

Back from BlackPerl 2011 <http://bit.ly/qBPtZ1>
Viacheslav Tykhanovskyi (vti) came back from the Crimea and wrote a nice
report about the Black Perl Workshop , along with a bunch of pictures.

Modern Perl in Linux Format <http://bit.ly/oH0Qip>
After several 'less than optimal' articles about Perl in the Linux Format
finally Dave Cross (davorg) got the opportunity to publish a series of
articles about Modern Perl.

Events

German Perl workshop <http://bit.ly/qKHYtR>
October 19-21, 2011, Frankfurt Am Main, Germany

Twin City Perl Workshop <http://bit.ly/rpmSZz>
November 4-5, 2011, Vienna, Austria and Bratislava, Slovakia

London Perl Workshop (LPW2011) <http://bit.ly/noWTQA>
November 12, 2011, London, UK

You joined the Perl Weekly to get weekly e-mails about the Perl programming
language and related topics.
Want to see more? See the archives <http://perlweekly.com/archive/> of all
the issues.
Reading this as a non-subscriber? click here to join
us<http://perlweekly.com/>free of charge.
(c) Gabor Szabo <http://szabgab.com/>
don't want to receive mails any more.

Alexei "RUSSOZ" Znamensky | russoz EM gmail com | http://russoz.org
GPG fingerprint = 42AB E78C B83A AE31 7D27  1CF3 C66F B5C7 71CA 9F3C
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alexeiz | http://github.com/russoz
"I don't know... fly casual!" -- Han Solo