[sf-perl] code self study group

David Fetter david at fetter.org
Tue May 24 11:35:25 PDT 2016

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 10:28:21AM -0700, Joseph Brenner wrote:
> Just thought I'd mention that I've been hanging around with these guys lately:
>   http://www.meetup.com/codeselfstudy/
>
> This is folks with laptops hanging around in a meeting room at the
> library, Wednesdays starting around 10am.  Seems like a
> javascript/python crowd, mostly, some more perl folks would not be a
> bad thing.
>
> Myself I'll probably be playing around with the R statistical
> language/application,

The cool kids have moved onto SciPy/NumPy (C and FORTRAN wrappers) and
Julia for performance reasons.

> though I keep meaning to look at perl6 some more (I think the
> built-in set operations look interesting...).

Built-in set operations...wherever might we have already had this
since the mid-1970s?

I'm starting to understand how you feel bout all that stuff in emacs
that people pooh-pooh'ed.

> They do cafe gatherings on Saturdays as well. This one is in
> Berkeley, at that library that's next door to the Thai temple.

Neato!

Cheers,
David.
--