[sf-perl] Can I silence experimental warnings in someone else's package?

George Hartzell hartzell at alerce.com
Wed Nov 18 08:32:01 PST 2015

Hi All,

I have a project X, that uses a package that's been installed by project Y, e.g. Y::Foo.pm.  That package was written in the heady days, just after given/when were introduced and it makes profligate, but safe, use of them.  I'm migrating project X forward to the modern era (Perl 5.18.2, sigh...) and Y::Foo's use of given/when generates warnings that, amongst other things, cause the compile tests to fail.

I know how to fix the problem "at the source", but I can't get project Y to make an updated release.

I can't figure out anything that I can do, in Project X's "using" package, that silences the warnings.

At this point my options seem to be to install a private copy of the Y::Foo or to disable the tests (and live with the extra output).

Can anyone suggest any other options?

g.

Sent from a device that makes me type with two fingers.