[sf-perl] [jobs] Job opening for Senior Perl Programmer at WebCDR.com

Uri Guttman uri at stemsystems.com
Sun Jan 5 15:27:22 PST 2014

On 01/05/2014 05:14 PM, Joseph Brenner wrote:
> A friend of mine-- with weak credit-- once commented with some annoyance
> that a place had pulled a credit report on him and then hired him anyway.
> My thought was they might like programmers with bad credit because they're
> more likely to stick around longer.
>
> Really, I think things like this are essentially nonsense.  Companies like
> to do things like this because it makes them feel like they're being
> diligent, but really they're making hiring decisions on first impressions,
> or, if you're lucky, a half-hour of technical interviews.

i get the sense of power for sure and i have seen it too. jump through
the hoops, you lowly candidate!

as for the screening, it varies a ton. some do way too much IMO and lose
out on quality candidates (3 sets of online tests??). few ask for code
and review it but the ones that do are usually more on top of things. my
major filter is code review and going over it with the candidate. how
they react to my feedback, how they discuss their coding decisions, etc.
tells me tons about how they think and solve problems. my clients tend
to like my candidates since they know i do a deep and quality screening
and don't shotgun resumes to them.

uri

--
Uri Guttman - The Perl Hunter
The Best Perl Jobs, The Best Perl Hackers