[sf-perl] Amazon considers removing Perl from Amazon Linux Image in EC2

drforr at pobox.com drforr at pobox.com
Wed Apr 9 09:52:12 PDT 2014

On 2014-04-08 21:52, Peter Thoeny wrote:
> I just discovered this regarding Perl and Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud
> (Amazon EC2):
>
> https://aws.amazon.com/amazon-linux-ami/2014.03-release-notes/ ,
> "Looking ahead to our 2014.09 release" :
>
> "We are considering removing Perl from the packages that are installed
> by default on the AMI, but it will remain in the repositories."

Sort of odd, considering just above: "Perl has been updated from 5.10 to
5.16, bringing in many fixes and enhancements. We also added perlbrew
and a number of other Perl packages."

> I would hat of Amazon drops Perl. TWiki is also deployed in the Amazon
> cloud by many companies. I wrote a blog post about this,
> http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Blog/BlogEntry201105x2

What's in their announcement isn't the same as "dropping perl", it's
still in the repo regardless. And v5.16 which is better than some other
distribution providers I could name.