[sf-perl] Thanks For Coming Out Tonight

jpbida jpbida at ambrosevaast.com
Thu Mar 28 10:10:35 PDT 2013

We had talked about what would make CPAN better at the meet-up. Last summer
I analyzed github data to try to figure out what github usage patterns are
correlated with open source project growth as measured by project
downloads.

A couple interesting observations:

1) There was a strong correlation between diverse team compositions (in
terms of what programming languages the team members used) and how many
downloads the project would get.

2) The amount of code submitted was inversely proportional to the success
of the project.

Maybe one thing CPAN/stratopan could improve is ways to integrate with
other programming language development tools or workflows and encourage a
diverse group of programmers to work with perl.

I tried to attach a presentation but it was blocked by the list. If you are
interested in seeing it I can pass it along on an individual basis.

Cheers,

~Jp