[sf-perl] Google Trends for Perl

Quinn Weaver quinn at pgexperts.com
Mon Mar 25 09:06:17 PDT 2013

On Mar 22, 2013, at 10:31 PM, Joseph Brenner wrote:

> Quinn Weaver <quinn at pgexperts.com> wrote:
>> Kevin Frost <biztos at mac.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Makes me wanna hack together a search startup, using PG of course... And Perl...
>>
>> DuckDuckGo uses both, and is rather good. It doesn't track or bubble users, and it has support for custom domains (s.g., search Perl-related things) and a Tor exit enclave.
>
> Yes, I thought duckduckgo was pretty good when I tried it some
> time back (though they'd junked up the UI with javascript a bit
> much for my taste).
>
> I've been using the local perl-based effort blekko.com almost
> exclusively for some years now-- so yeah, I guess I'm not part of
> The Zeitgeist according to google.
>
> blekko's gimmick is "slash tags" to narrow the domain of the
> search, so you can do stuff like "mouse /perl".

It's a good idea. DuckDuckGo has a similar feature: !bang categories,
so you can do, e.g., "!perl parser" or "!postgres parser".
That's what I meant by my somewhat ill-worded reference to
"custom domains" above.

Anyway, thanks for the reminder about blekko. I've been meaning
to give it a try.

PS: I don't know what parts of the DDG UI you object to, but
one trick that sometimes works for me is to spoof the User-Agent
header of a mobile browser. That way I get the minimal version of
a website, which is often much more usable than the original!

--
Quinn Weaver
PostgreSQL Experts, Inc.