[sf-perl] Maybe "Perl5" is just like "OS X"

Joseph Brenner doom at kzsu.stanford.edu
Fri Feb 8 16:17:47 PST 2013

Fred Moyer <fred at redhotpenguin.com> wrote:
>Joseph Brenner <doom at kzsu.stanford.edu> wrote:

>> The cat names still don't mean anything to people on the outside (like
>> myself) and arguably that's what the whole issue is about, talking to
>> outsiders (and convincing the insiders that they need to think about
>> talking to outsiders... good luck there, eh?).
>
> To people who use Perl casually, and to those who aren't familiar with
> the versioning system, I think it makes a lot of sense. Giving the
> release a name tells them that significant changes have occurred, and
> shows progression through the lifetime of the major version.

Well, it might very well be an improvement in some sense, but the way
the advocates for "Perl 7" usually argue it is they want a name that
conveys "Here's the Latest!" (which is one reason I think versioning
with years makes a lot of sense).

My objection to the OS X naming scheme is just that the names don't
have any implied sequence, and don't give me any feel for what the
latest is.  Like, I have a vague feeling that "Snow Leopard" is
probably pretty old at this point, because I heard people talking
about it way back, but I'd have to consult Uncle Wikipedia to know if
Cheetah came after Jaguar (or even if there was a Jaguar, which is
unlikely because of the car company).

Using city names in alphabetic sequence might be okay, but I forsee
some problems... like do you name a release "Los Angeles"?