[sf-perl] Maybe "Perl5" is just like "OS X"

Fred Moyer fred at redhotpenguin.com
Fri Feb 8 14:37:17 PST 2013

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 10:31 AM, Joseph Brenner <doom at kzsu.stanford.edu> wrote:
> The cat names still don't mean anything to people on the outside (like
> myself) and arguably that's what the whole issue is about, talking to
> outsiders (and convincing the insiders that they need to think about
> talking to outsiders... good luck there, eh?).

To people who use Perl casually, and to those who aren't familiar with
the versioning system, I think it makes a lot of sense. Giving the
release a name tells them that significant changes have occurred, and
shows progression through the lifetime of the major version.

How long until Perl 6? With this schema it would be right after 'Perl
V Zebulon' (or your choice of city Z). Which would correspond to the
5.26 numeric version.