[sf-perl] Maybe "Perl5" is just like "OS X"

Jeffrey Ryan Thalhammer jeff at imaginative-software.com
Thu Feb 7 22:40:15 PST 2013

If you haven't already, do check out the discussion on Perl version numbers at http://blogs.perl.org.  Here's an additional thought...

Mac OS was (and still is) in the same situation as Perl.  For years, the official version number has been 10.something.  But from the very beginning, they disguised it as "Mac OS X $feline".  The "X" is a clear nod to the original 0..9 ancestry but it doesn't overtly express any kind of sequence.  Instead, the sequence is expressed as $felines, which are much more exciting to talk about than numbers like "16.2".

Perl could do exactly the same thing to construct a marketing version that is both accurate and exciting.  Say we change the "5" to "V" and use cities of the world rather than cats.  Imagine: "Perl V Moscow" or "Perl V Sydney".  Only trouble is that "V" still seems tied to "5", more so than "X" does to 10.  But maybe that's just because I'm so used to "5".  Internally, it would still just be 5.whatever.

Anyway, that's just an idea.  I do like the "cities" idea though -- it gives it a nice global appeal.

-Jeff