[sf-perl] [Module Announcement] Pinto

Jeffrey Thalhammer jeff at imaginative-software.com
Wed Sep 19 19:07:24 PDT 2012

Pinto is a sophisticated application for managing Perl module dependencies.  You may have heard about it from my presentation at YAPC earlier this year.  In the last few months, Pinto has continued to evolve.  The latest release includes a version control mechanism that allows you to review changes to your dependency stack and roll the stack back to a prior revision.

If your application has ever broken unexpectedly when a new version of a dependency is released to CPAN, or if you've struggled to create builds with consistent versions of your dependencies, then Pinto might be the tool you need.  So I invite you to give it a try and send me your feedback.  Some features are still experimental, so I recommend installing it into a sandbox with cpanm.  Here's how to get started:

# Install into the "sandbox" directory
cpanm --local-lib=sandbox Pinto App::Pinto

# Get a listing of available pinto commands
perl -Isandbox/lib/perl5 sandbox/bin/pinto commands

Pinto has extensive documentation too.  Pinto::Manual::QuickStart shows sample commands for common operations.  Pinto::Manual::Tutorial is a step-by-step explanation of how and why to use Pinto.  Lastly, Pinto::Manual::Introduction gives the big-picture of why Pinto exists in the first place.

I look forward to hearing what you all think.

--Jeff