[sf-perl] Mouse, again?

George Hartzell hartzell at alerce.com
Fri Mar 2 10:48:10 PST 2012

Simon Wistow writes:
 > On Fri, Mar 02, 2012 at 09:31:55AM -0800, George Hartzell said:
 > > Some of those
 >
 > According to CPAN deps it's more like 62 Modules of which
 > approximately 25% are core.
 >
 > http://deps.cpantesters.org/?module=Moose&perl=any+version&os=any+OS
 > [...]

Hmmm.  I guess that we're both right, just answering different
questions.

I was curious about what the overhead of using Moose would be,
compared to basic Perl.  How many additional distributions would I
need to install.

I started with my perlbrew'ed perl 5.14.2, then used cpanm's
local-lib-contained functionality to install everything that wasn't
part of the core (making sure I wasn't cheating by having already
installed random bits and pieces).

The result was 22 add'l distro's.  It wouldn't surprise me if other
perl's would pull in a few more/less distro's, depending what's in
their core.

Moose *is* a bit of a gateway drug, however.  There's a *big* step in
my mind between using Moose and a tasteful set of MooseX to{ol,y}s
versus getting involved with heavier things like MooseX::Declare and
it's Devel::Declare underpinnings.  Developing taste is a journey.

The cpan testers link counts "Modules".  That's probably going to
cause some difference too.

g.