[sf-perl] Mouse, again?

Joseph Brenner doomvox at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 17:08:33 PST 2012

Quinn Weaver <quinn at pgexperts.com> wrote:
> Joseph Brenner <doom at kzsu.stanford.edu> wrote:

>> Can someone refresh my memory about
>> the problems are supposed to be with using Mouse?

> "Mouse?" Predictably, all my web searches are returning
> the wrong thing.

Precisely.   Anyway, for those who haven't heard of it: Mouse is a
CPAN module, it's intended to be a lightweight alternative to Moose:
the syntax is the same as Moose, though by design it only does basic
stuff, but does it around 4x faster (or so they claim).

There was a brief period there when Mouse was popular as a
light-weight Moose, but (as I remember it), then some arguments
emerged to shoot it down.

By the way: I've thought about it, and concluded that for my purposes
I have no interest in using the wrapper module Any::Moose: by design,
it's a way of using Mouse without committing to it permanently, if it
sees Moose installed it will use that instead.  That strikes me as a
potentially nasty action-at-a-distance performance bomb I would rather
not inflict on whoever needs to maintain this code.