[sf-perl] Looking For Software Asset Management Tool Recommendations

Jeffrey Thalhammer jeff at imaginative-software.com
Fri Feb 10 12:04:35 PST 2012

Hi everyone-

My client is trying to get a grip on their software.  It is a mid-sized organization and they have over 100 different home-grown software "projects" that all live in one Subversion repository.   There are various interdependencies among the projects.  For example project A may depend on a database provided by project B.  Or project C may depend on a web service provided by project D.  The fundamental question they want answered is:

When a new version of a project is released, whom do I need to notify?

So basically they need to track project owners and dependencies between projects.  They have started building a home-grown solution to do this, but it is quickly spiraling out of control.  I figure every large enterprise has this exact same problem, so there has to be some off-the-shelf solutions out there.  I believe the general term for this (and related things) is Software Asset Management.  So my questions for all of you are:

Have you solved this kind of problem in your organization? How did you solve it?  Did you use an off-the-shelf solution (either in part or in full)?  If so, which one and would you recommend it?

-Jeff