[sf-perl] [job] Bepress is looking for Perl developers

Kevin Goess cpan at goess.org
Fri Aug 24 16:24:57 PDT 2012

Bepress is looking for Perl developers.  We're a small outfit in
downtown Berkeley, been around since 1999, a big push now to modernize
our infrastructure and practices.

We need someone who is strong in Perl and wants to work in a small
environment making big changes. Our older products are in need of some
TLC so that we can continue to support our growth. We also need more
heads and hands developing new products. Each member of our DevOps
team has an impact on our systems end-to-end.

Bepress is a SaaS provider offering services to the academic community
to showcase and share their work. Our Digital Commons product is the
leading hosted Institutional Repository and our growth has been
exponential. We have a feel-good mission helping to promote the open
access movement that is changing the world of scholarly exchange.

Requirements:

Great with Perl.
Really good with some other things. Python would be great but Ruby,
Java or C counts too.
Postgres, or at least some SQL DB.
Real application development for high traffic web applications.
Experience with the LAMP stack.
Significant re-engineering/re-architecting projects.
JavaScript.
Experience with object oriented programming, MVC and multi-tiered architectures.
Understanding of deployment issues in a multi-tiered/multi-tenant
hosted environment.
Strong communication skills. Seriously!
Willingness to join the on-call rotation.
Ability to laugh, especially at yourself.

What we offer:

Friendly, collaborative environment
Bicycle friendly downtown Berkley location
Challenging yet realistic goals
Really smart co-workers (no, really!)
Money
Matching IRA plan