[sf-perl] All these Perl web frameworks

Fred Moyer fred at redhotpenguin.com
Wed Aug 8 07:47:36 PDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 2:40 PM, Bryan Beeley <bryan at beeley.org> wrote:
> At work we actually still use mod_perl in Apache 2 (gasp!), simply because
> we have optimized its performance enough that switching hasn't seemed worth
> the effort.  Our Apache instance is sitting behind nginx, so there is also
> that.

mod_perl is used by many companies despite that it has been around for
over 10 years. The mod_perl users list is very active right now, and 2
new releases have come out this year. It's a good platform for serving
large web applications; Apache is widely used, so you get the benefit
of performance optimizations, a web server with a history of solid
security, and a large development team. It isn't vulnerable to a bus
taking out one developer, or the more common situation of the lone
developer moving on to something else.

If your application runs on more than one machine, you'd be hard
pressed to find a better web server than mod_perl. As long as you have
an http connection pooler like nginx (Perlbal is my preferred choice)
in front of the application servers, scaling it is not a problem.