[sf-perl] All these Perl web frameworks

Joseph Brenner doom at kzsu.stanford.edu
Wed Aug 1 13:39:16 PDT 2012

 yary <not.com at gmail.com> wrote:

> ...  and was wondering if you would care to
> discuss/post a comparison of the following frameworks. Why would you
> pick one over the other, what differentiates them?

I don't have a lot of first-hand experience on these, but that doesn't
usually stop me--

> Catalyst- http://www.catalystframework.org/ - grandaddy of the big
> active frameworks? Lots of modules / flexibility?

Yes, I think that's about the size of it.

> Mojolicious- http://mojolicio.us/

A lot of us seem to agree that Mojolicious is a scary project.
They're main feature is they've reduced external dependencies, but
that means they've re-written a lot of stuff from scratch themselves.

> Dancer- http://perldancer.org/

I've got a vaguely positive vibe about dancer, though at this point I
can't remember why... I gather Catalyst is more configurable.

> Poet- http://search.cpan.org/~jswartz/Poet-0.09/lib/Poet/Manual/Intro.pod

I would say that Jonathan has a good point that while the various
MVC-style frameworks talk-up "separation of concerns" really the
pieces end up being pretty tightly-coupled, and you have to keep
making parallel changes everywhere.

Also, using Mason by default appeals to me more than TT, it feels much
more perlish.