[sf-perl] Pure perl Moose

yary not.com at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 11:18:32 PDT 2012

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 1:38 PM, Jonathan Swartz <swartz at pobox.com> wrote:
> I think references to Moose being pure perl - like this http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/moose - generally mean that its syntax is built on top of Perl, rather than being an extension to the Perl core.
>
> Moose is definitely not pure perl in the sense of "doesn't need a compiler", since it depends on Class::MOP which uses XSLoader. And a good thing, too, we don't want it to be pure-perl from a performance perspective. Hopefully more of it will end up in XS over time as it stabilizes.

It seems it once was pure perl in the "non-XS" sense, based on things
like notes in Moose's "Changes" document, for example-

    0.66 Sat September 20, 2008
    ..
    introspection of a class's method with Class::MOP::Class

      Tests and XS
        We (us maintainers) now run all tests with XS and then without
XS, which should help us catch skew between the XS/pure Perl code.
(Dave Rolsky)

Not sure how much longer I will look down this path, I would like to
see which way it leads reagardless.