[sf-perl] Go Pinto [Was: Real perl]

Jeff Bragg jackofnotrades at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 07:48:17 PDT 2012

Doing things without a lot of dependencies isn't necessarily "doing things
the hard way".  I lean heavily on the core packages, and use CPAN modules
for virtually anything non-trivial, as I don't have time for a lot of
unnecessary wheel-inventing.  However, as I said, I don't always have the
luxury of assuming the resources I'll have available, outside of Perl
itself and some indispensible BASH/Linux utilities.  Some machines I have
control over, and can install what I please; others I have much more
sharply limited control over, and cannot, for example, even assume that the
CPAN kit is complete enough to build everything -- without a few specific
packages or external tools, e.g. the YAML library, make, I've seen CPAN
fail spectacularly to install what I needed.

And again I'll say, Moose, nice as it is, is overkill for much of what I
write; most of my scripts will already be most of the way finished running,
as currently written, by the time Moose loads.

I'll keep Pinto in mind because it may be useful for situations in which I
have sufficient control to use it.

Honestly, I was generally praising Moose as a good thing, but a little
heavy for some things, and just stating a fact about the situation I have
to work with; I'm not sure why you chose me to make an example of.

I feel like the Perl community is becoming pretty damned opinionated; in my
view TMTOWTDI does not just mean that there's a "right" way and a "wrong"
way (that kind of binary thinking is for other language communities).