[sf-perl] Fw: Perl 5.14.2 is now available

C Poda clp302 at poda.net
Wed Sep 28 17:39:39 PDT 2011

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 14:03:28 -0700, Rich Morin <rdm at cfcl.com> wrote:

> Are there any particular books (etc) which would give an
> overview of how Perl 5 (syntax, idioms, practices, etc.)
> have changed over the past several years?

Hi,

If you're familiar w/ Effective Perl Programming, the second edition
is copyright 2010 (updated from rev 1 of 1998) and includes many
idioms.  It's a great book for someone w/ some Perl knowledge.  It also
includes a 6-page Appendix, mapping topics from first to second edition,
which can give you an overview of some changes to the language
that they thought important.  Very good typography, like the first
edition, & I find it much easier to read than most other Perl books.

http://isbn.nu/0321496949

Perl Best Practices by Conway is older, at 2005.  See the discussion
about some changes here (they seem to have moved from
perlfoundation.org):
   https://www.socialtext.net/perl5/pbp_module_recommendation_commentary

http://isbn.nu/9780596001735

A search of this weblog by chromatic might answer some
of your questions.
   http://www.modernperlbooks.com/mt/

Thanks.
clpoda