[sf-perl] [news] Fwd: [Perlweekly] The current Perl Weekly News - Issue #7

Peter Thoeny peter at thoeny.org
Mon Sep 12 13:33:12 PDT 2011

All:

I subscribed last week to the Perl Weekly e-mail newsletter and find
it quote informative. Sharing it in case you do not yet know of Gabor
Szabo's newsletter.

FYI,
Peter

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Gabor Szabo <gabor at szabgab.com>
> Date: September 11, 2011 11:24:20 PM PDT
> To: perlweekly at perlweekly.com
> Subject: [Perlweekly] The current Perl Weekly News - Issue #7
>
> Perl Weekly
>
> Issue #7 - September 12, 2011
>
> You can read the newsletter on the web, if you prefer.
> Hi there,
>
> It seems the pas week brought us less articles but nevertheless I
> found a few interesting ones.
>
> The Perl Weekly was mentioned in the DevOps Weekly that brought us a
> few more subscribers.
>
> I also found out that the subscribe button of the Perl Weekly was
> partially broken due to the same-origin policy enforced in some
> browsers more than in others. I fixed this now. I hope.
>
> Not to the posts:
>
> Articles
>
> DotCloud::Environment
> Flavio Poletti introduces his 'yet to be fully released' module to
> make it easy to handle the environment in DotCloud
>
> Testing with sqlite
> Anthony Pallatto (actualeyes) suggests to use SQLite in your testing
> environment instead of the database used in production. Using SQLite
> certainly has some advantages but there is the great danger of
> anything in production being different from the testing environment.
> SQLite can be good to reduce the complexity to setup development and
> testing environments but just as you do full test cycles every now
> and then (preferably frequently) so should you use a system as close
> to the deployment environment as possible.
>
> Perl says 'Hello I-Programmer'
> This is the first article I wrote to the I-Programmer.info web site.
> It probably won't be an earth shattering experience for you but it
> is my first one on I-Programmer. It is mostly there so I'll have an
> in-house article to refer to on how to start using Perl when I write
> more complex examples.
>
> Lessons from running Perl Weekly for the first 6 weeks
> This is another article I wrote, this time on my own blog,
> describing my experience with this list. It might be interesting to
> you if you'd like to look a bit at the details. I am also comparing
> the experience with that of Peter Cooper who runs the Ruby Weekly
> which was the inspiration to this newsletter.
>
> Parrot
>
> Parrot is a foundering project on top of a wonderful vision.
> Christoph Otto took off the gloves and started to describe how he
> wants Parrot, and more importantly the Parrot development process to
> change. This is a link to the opening message on the parrot-dev
> mailing list with many important responses.
>
> Parrot, the Smoke Clears
> Andrew Whitworth (aka Whiteknight on black background) takes the
> above e-mail discussion and writes a lengthy article about the
> interaction between the Parrot and the Rakudo (Perl 6) projects.
> Compared with the JVM and the CLR how they have a primary language
> [...]

   * Peter Thoeny                             Peter[at]Thoeny.org
   * http://twiki.net - Twiki, Inc. - Enterprise Agility
   * http://twiki.org - is your team already TWiki enabled?
   * Knowledge cannot be managed, it can be discovered and shared
   * This e-mail is:   (_) private    (x) ask first    (_) public