[sf-perl] [meeting] Pegex and Acmeism

Kevin Frost biztos at mac.com
Sun Oct 16 13:58:22 PDT 2011

I love this thread because I love thinking about natural languages and computer languages and how they interrelate, especially in the context of the very "linguistic" Perl.

However, I can never be an Acmeist, because:

> Acmeism is the belief that language naturally tends to divide people and ideas...

...and I couldn't disagree more.

( my $statement = $acme_statement ) =~ s/divide/enrich/;

I speak three languages, which is about average in my peer group, nothing special.  It is perhaps worth noting that the last few wars in Europe were between people who had no difficulty communicating with each other.

I don't think I know any Perl programmer who only programs in one language.  I know a Python guy who claims to only do Python but I don't believe him (I think he does Javascript too).

What I find particularly fun is when multilingual people write multilingual code – variables in English, comments in German, that sort of thing.

My 0.02 EUR.

cheers

-- frosty

PS, "not.com" - brilliant. :-)