[sf-perl] why I love CPAN (and Plack)

Michael Friedman friedman at highwire.stanford.edu
Tue May 24 11:56:19 PDT 2011

I had to make an iPhone-compatible version of a third-party website at work recently, so I searched CPAN. What did I find, but a perl one-liner iPhone-rewriting web proxy!

plackup -MPlack::App::Proxy -e 'builder {enable iPhone; Plack::App::Proxy->new(remote => "http://search.cpan.org/") }'

(Plack::Middleware::iPhone)

Wow. This is why I love CPAN. I installed one module (well, with dependencies it installed a few more), ran one single-line script, and it's all working just fine.

Thanks to everyone who made a potential week's worth of work into a single hour! (Especially Patrick Donelan and Tatsuhiko Miyagawa. Awesome work!)

-- Mike
Mike Friedman | HighWire Press, Stanford Univ | friedman at highwire.stanford.edu