[sf-perl] Request for comments - Perl rpm builds

Fred Moyer fred at redhotpenguin.com
Tue May 17 22:46:14 PDT 2011

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 8:04 PM, Joseph Brenner <doom at kzsu.stanford.edu> wrote:
> Sounds like a worthy experiment.  As far as names go, the way these
> things are done in the ubuntu/debian world is a version number is
> tacked on to the name.  So you might name the binary perl5.14 and call
> the package perl5.14-5_14_0-0-i386.rpm.

Thanks for the good feedback, I've renamed the rpms to contain the
version, ala perl_5_14_0 which results in
perl_5_14_0-5.14.0-1.i386.rpm

Not ideal, but better than it was.  Rpm couples the source
distribution tarball name with the rpm name tightly.  And rpm appears
to specify the name of the rpm based on the package name, version, and
rel values, hence the 5_14_0 5.14.0 redux.

I came up with a better name also, fredperl is now oysterhead (not to
be confused with the rock band of the same name).

https://github.com/redhotpenguin/oysterhead