[sf-perl] perl popularity, TIOBE index - detailed comments

Fred Moyer fred at redhotpenguin.com
Fri May 13 19:42:57 PDT 2011

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 6:05 AM, Randal L. Schwartz
<merlyn at stonehenge.com> wrote:
> James> - mod_perl is not an answer for hosting companies for acceleration, so
> James>   they've gone with PHP.
>
> You mean shared hosting?  Yeah, who cares.  Serious stuff is done on VPS
> or dedicated hardware or Amazon-like clouds.

I think that most of mod_perl's users are split between hard core
enthusiasts and large companies who have dedicated hardware in house
that they can't outsource because their databases are too big to
migrate to the cloud.  VPS probably comes in second to dedicated
hardware, and clouds third.  I would like to know more though, maybe
we can run another mod_perl users survey; I'll drop that on the
mod_perl list.