[sf-perl] perl popularity, TIOBE index - detailed comments

Tatsuhiko Miyagawa miyagawa at bulknews.net
Fri May 13 15:44:43 PDT 2011

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 10:52 PM, James Briggs <james at actionmessage.com> wrote:

> Having said that, Perl does face some long-term problems:
>
> - still no polished IPV6 support, hence some of the Python growth

Check out perl 5.14, the actual release coming in a few days.
http://search.cpan.org/~jesse/perl-5.14.0-RC3/pod/perldelta.pod#Improved_IPv6_support

> - spotty Unicode support

To me, Unicode support since perl 5.8.3 has been almost complete, but
again, 5.14 fixed a couple of minor issues around Unicode and regular
expressions.
http://search.cpan.org/~jesse/perl-5.14.0-RC3/pod/perldelta.pod#Unicode

> - mod_perl is not an answer for hosting companies for acceleration, so
>  they've gone with PHP.

Shared hosting, you mean? At my job we host your Perl/PSGI application
on nginx/uwsgi in a virtualized environment, with no issues. </plug>

Come to the next meeting if you want to hear more about that :)
http://www.meetup.com/San-Francisco-Perl-Mongers/events/17570183/

> If anybody is serious about working together on IPV6 support, let me know.
>
> James.
>
> On Thu, 12 May 2011 13:54:37 -0700, Philip J. Hollenback wrote
>> I'm interested in hearing what people think of the TIOBE programming
>> community index:
>>
>> http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html
>>
>> If their analysis is valid (I have no idea) then the long-term prospects
>> for perl developers look poor.

Tatsuhiko Miyagawa