[sf-perl] Third party Perl rpms for enterprise Linux distros

Michael Friedman friedman at highwire.stanford.edu
Wed May 11 16:28:57 PDT 2011

Fred,

My office has run into this often. What we ended up doing, finally, is creating a master configuration for an entire server using cfengine, and then cloning it into a VM, and then running that on a RHEL machine. This adds a couple of layers of indirection, but we're not CPU-bound anyway.

Benefits of this approach for us:
1. We install our own copy of perl and any CPAN modules once, on the master.
2. Because we're only running virtualized servers, we can control exactly what the VM thinks it has: CPU, Memory, Disk, etc. Each and every one is an exact duplicate, so they all work the same way.
3. Running one VM per server doesn't suck away much performance.
4. Running in a VM isolates us from anything the IT group might do to the server itself.
5. cfengine has a way of updating clones that it has created, so when we install a new CPAN module in the master copy it gets distributed out to all the clones automatically. (Or so I hear -- I don't know if we've tested this yet.)
6. You install things once and then can use them on dozens of servers.
7. Bringing up a new machine is really fast. If it can boot, we just copy the VM to it and fire it up, pre-configured.

Downsides:
a. We've got a guy who is working nearly full-time on making cfengine work, defining what goes into the master copy, etc.
b. Virtualization does slow things down a bit. We're IO-bound, though, so the VM is more than fast enough for us.
c. This works best when you're talking dozens of machines. It's overkill for just a few.

In the end, though, it's just a big wrapper around "don't use the system perl, install your own copy". I think it makes that prospect a bit easier to maintain, though.

-- Mike
Mike Friedman | HighWire Press, Stanford Univ | friedman at highwire.stanford.edu