[sf-perl] Dumb Q's about CPAN submission

Joseph Brenner doom at kzsu.stanford.edu
Fri Mar 4 15:26:25 PST 2011

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 2:29 PM, Fred Moyer <fred at redhotpenguin.com> wrote:

>> Fred's trickery with Makefile.PL sounds workable (a lot of people
>> don't realize that that's really a perl script, so you can include any
>> arbitrary code in it).

> The point of the trickery here is so that you don't have to require
> Test::More in the prerequisites for the module.  Your module (likely)
> does not need Test::More to function, just to run the tests.

With a Module::Build based package, you can put test dependencies in
"build_requires", with module dependencies in "requires".   There's an
oddity of module-starter is that it creates a "build_requires" for
you, but not a "requires".

What I know on the subject:

  http://obsidianrook.com/devnotes/talks/writing_cpan_modules/index.html

By the way,  Test::More is included in the Test::Simple package, so
this is the Changes file I was talking about:

  http://cpansearch.perl.org/src/MSCHWERN/Test-Simple-0.98/Changes

It looks like done_testing was rolled out with 0.87_01, with the first
stable release being 0.88.

(I stand corrected on the use of  a suffix like  "_1" to discourage
installation as "the latest".  I'd forgotten about that.)