[sf-perl] ORM vs. DBI

George Hartzell hartzell at alerce.com
Tue Mar 1 12:02:33 PST 2011

Kevin Frost writes:
 > I belatedly second the point in favor of DBIx::Class.  Not the easiest
 > thing to learn but once you're up to speed it's very, very powerful.

I'd like to toss Rose::DB::Object into the mix.  It's in the same
"space" as DBIx::Class but feels lighter/tighter/more compact.  It's
not Moose-ish and is largely the product of a single person (John
Siracussa).  If he ever gets hit by a bus (or like the Class::DBI
author decides to stop working on it) then things might get
interesting.  On the other hand I think you can really see the effects
of a single hand on the rudder.

It has great tutorials, John's amazing at fixing issues and adding
functionality.  If you're in the market for an ORM and have the
freedom to make up your own mind on technical merits (as opposed to
sheer popularity or Moose-osity, or ...) it's worth looking at.

g.