[sf-perl] [meeting] Perl + MongoDB => Mongoers + Fun

Greg Lindahl greg at blekko.com
Mon Jun 6 19:43:37 PDT 2011

In the search engine space, 'web scale' means that you index billions
of pages. The video is funny, but when the SQL guy starts talking
about how SQL works great for 99.9% of companies, I think, "Yes, and
I'm in the 0.1%, that's what web scale means."

I'll venture to bet that most people define 'web scale' according to
their personal experiences. Which makes it difficult to talk
about. Petabyte of data? That's a nice ante for the web scale game.

As for your comments about new technologies, yes, almost everything in
CS is recycled. It can be very useful to to study the technologies
you're reinventing.

-- greg