[sf-perl] [announce] Pinto-0.026

Paul Makepeace Paul.Makepeace at realprogrammers.com
Thu Dec 8 03:27:19 PST 2011

2011/12/8 Bill Moseley <moseley at hank.org>

> Currently, some developers just check-out from svn the in-house module
> they need and install in local::lib, but mostly they get installed
> system-wide, which isn't a great approach.

One approach I've seen is someone builds a virtual machine with a bunch of
perl modules and other bits then leaves that image on a shared disk. There
is a tendency for it to diverge but usually it's not that bad, and as a way
to get a number of people working right away (esp new hires) is hard to
beat. Any non-trivial project is usually more than just perl modules:
Apache/lighttpd/etc, database, EC2, redis, etc Puppet is useful but a
learning curve.

(Nothing to stop combining this with local::lib etc)

Paul