[sf-perl] One more reason why I use Perl...

Joe Brenner doom at kzsu.stanford.edu
Tue May 11 13:30:07 PDT 2010

yary <not.com at gmail.com> wrote:

> My take is that if it's a core module distributed with all modern
> Perl's it's a valid comparison, but HTML::Entities isn't in there.

That was the first thing that I checked, also, but presence-in-core
varies in importance to different people.  In an ideal world, it
wouldn't matter at all, and anything you want off of CPAN should be
available in an instant (to a developer) and after a brief vetting
process (in live code).

When working on my own projects, I'm essentially in that ideal
world, but working for someone else, it's often not-so-ideal...

And even when developing code for use on CPAN it's a matter of some
debate on whether it's a good idea to rely on a lot of other CPAN
modules.  A lot of people out there still try to install perl
modules manually tracing the dependencies themselves.

> Still it's OK to heart perl for it's easy-to-find libs.

And it would be even eaisier if they were easier to find.