[sf-perl] Perlcritic startup.

Joe Brenner doom at kzsu.stanford.edu
Wed May 5 21:08:42 PDT 2010

George Hartzell <hartzell at alerce.com> wrote:

> I'd like to start playing with Perl-Critic.  It seems to be extremely
> flexible (even by Perl TMTOWTDI standards).
>
> As I wade in and start exploring options I've realized that it might
> be really useful to hear how other folks use it (policies, severities,
> where/when you use it (svn hooks, etc...)).
>
> Anyone want to share?

Do you know that there are some standard policy settings out on CPAN?
Here's Andy Lester's recommendations:

  http://search.cpan.org/~petdance/Perl-Critic-Bangs-1.04/

I like the one that looks for TODO comments (I thought about writing a
test like that, and then realized Lester was ahead of me again.)

I've started using perlcritic more regularly after I added it to the
perlnow.el command I use to check perl code inside of emacs...

But I'm still using the vanilla settings, which I'm afraid don't often
tell me anything interesting about my own code (I've been at this
awhile now, and my natural style is pretty close to "Best Practices").