[sf-perl] Perl search engine

David Lowe j.david.lowe at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 11:00:44 PDT 2010

Paul, sfpug folks -

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 8:14 PM, Paul Makepeace
<Paul.Makepeace at realprogrammers.com> wrote:
> It comes down to complexity - perl is just waaay more complicated than
> python.

I disagree -- quite strongly -- that perl is inherently more
complicated than python. But I doubt that can be objectively discussed
;)

I mostly think it's an irrelevant argument. Here's the thing: all
software is complicated, and managing complexity is a huge part of
professional programming. But in my experience, the people who think
that the inherent language complexity is the biggest source of their
project's complexity are actually domain experts who simply can't
*SEE* the complexity of the rest of the system.

IMO: language choice isn't much more important than whitespace vs.
tabs, in terms of the complexity of a substantial piece of software
(barring cases where a language is egregiously unsuited to the problem
domain...)

Thanks,
David Lowe