[sf-perl] Perl search engine

Greg Lindahl greg at blekko.com
Wed Jul 21 17:01:57 PDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 12:43:54PM -0700, Joe Brenner wrote:

> Also, if I'm right that google has been ignoring some good
> technologies (perl, postgresql), then it might be possible to
> get a little edge over them by using them...

I hear Google uses a lot of Python, and a lot of NoSQL.

We probably use Perl a relatively larger amount, and we rolled our own
NoSQL database. A modest amount of our perl became a much larger pile
of XS, once we were done experimenting with the algorithms.

I know people run massively parallel Postgresql databases, but they
don't do what a search engine wants out of a database. Serving ads,
sure. But not all the weird stuff we do to crawl, index, and serve
results.

-- greg