[sf-perl] Perl search engine

Paul Makepeace Paul.Makepeace at realprogrammers.com
Wed Jul 21 14:41:03 PDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 14:23, Joe Brenner <doom at kzsu.stanford.edu> wrote:

> yary <not.com at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Joe Brenner <doom at kzsu.stanford.edu> wrote:
>
>> > Also, if I'm right that google has been ignoring some good
>> > technologies (perl, postgresql), then it might be possible to
>> > get a little edge over them by using them...
>>
>> For what it's worth, my understanding is that Google uses Perl in its
>> release management,
>
> And in a number of other corners, I would expect.  They don't entirely
> let anti-perl snobbery dictate which companies they buy, for example.

There are Perl questions on their SRE (ops/"root at google.com" role)
interviews, and they're not easy either. Perl is used on the command
line pretty extensively. Gmail's anti-spam has SpamAssassin as part of
its chain.

Not to get into a language war but there are some really excellent
reasons not to use perl for large organizations like that. Python, all
things considered, is a pretty good choice, IMO.

BTW, FastCGI is definitely production ready - it's pretty simple, has
been around for years & the Catalyst et al folks have deployed it in
some large prod setups.

Paul