[sf-perl] Perl search engine

Joe Brenner doom at kzsu.stanford.edu
Wed Jul 21 14:08:12 PDT 2010

Fred Moyer <fred at redhotpenguin.com> wrote:

> Joe Brenner <doom at kzsu.stanford.edu> wrote:
> > I've been interested in this one, of late:
> >
> >   http://duckduckgo.com
> >
> > This is a search engine that uses perl (and postgresql):
> >
> >   http://www.gabrielweinberg.com/blog/2009/03/duck-duck-go-architecture.html
>
> I'm surprised to see they are using FastCGI which is somewhat bleeding
> edge.  I've worked with fast cgi implementations previously and they
> didn't see to be quite production ready overall.

I'd feel safer with mod_perl, myself, but I have seen some people
pushing FastCGI as a performance win.

But then, if you look at that "architecture" post, he doesn't claim that
this is The Right Way, this is just what they did for their "soft
launch".  There's a bunch of cloud computing stuff in there also which
also strikes me as fairly dicey (it's not recommended for postgresql,
for example -- but then it's not clear to me if the entire system is
hosted in the clouds, or just some incidental stuff).