[sf-perl] Perl search engine

yary not.com at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 13:18:45 PDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 12:43 PM, Joe Brenner <doom at kzsu.stanford.edu> wrote:

> Also, if I'm right that google has been ignoring some good
> technologies (perl, postgresql), then it might be possible to
> get a little edge over them by using them...

For what it's worth, my understanding is that Google uses Perl in its
release management, but its more of a Python & Java shop overall (eg
what do they allow to run on the Google App Engine).

Also back when Lycos was the only game in town, an acquaintance there
told me their Perl was a performance hit, and they were rewriting
anything that executed as a result of a visitor's search in C. That
was circa 1994 and I never followed up.

-y