[sf-perl] SF.pm grant proposal review for TPF

Fred Moyer fred at redhotpenguin.com
Wed Aug 4 18:17:31 PDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 4:37 PM, Uri Guttman <uri at stemsystems.com> wrote:

>  JB> Hmmm.  Have you attempted to get food sponsors for the meetings?
>  JB> We've had pretty good luck doing so for the other SFPUG.
>
> boston.pm has had a food sponsor from a company hiring perl
> hackers.

If the main focus of this grant were solely a food sponsor, I think we
could get one without pulling too many teeth.  But the core of this
proposal is growth; food is a significant budget item in that growth,
but not the only important part of it.  Advertising, outreach, and
being able to buffer the growth of the group are what is sought after.

I realize that most TPF grants are focused towards writing code or
documentation in one form or another.  But when I wrote the first
draft of that grant I was watching the meetings get bigger and bigger,
and the membership increase rapidly.  So the thought that the PM
groups are an essential part of the ecosystem was really impressed
upon me, and helping grow the group with grant could be equally
effective as writing code or docs.

Visibility is a big factor also - people believe the 'Perl is dying'
meme because they don't see it like they see Ruby or Python or PHP.
All of those have strong local user groups that are several times our
size.  They are visible.

 one employee (a pm regular) was given a short time to plug jobs