[sf-perl] poll: directory layout question

Joe Brenner doom at kzsu.stanford.edu
Thu Apr 22 12:00:37 PDT 2010

Dan Lyke <danlyke at flutterby.com> wrote:
> David Alban <extasia at extasia.org> wrote:

> > do you prefer this layout:
> >
> >      /usr/local/etc/tool/...
> >      /usr/local/lib/tool/...
>
> This one, for this simple reason:
>
>    find /etc /usr/etc /usr/local/etc -type -f -print0
>    | xargs -0 grep 'knowitsheresomewhere'

You have a point of course, but I'm inclined to use something like
"locate" these days (if not "ack"):

  locate knowitsheresomewhere | egrep etc

But actually, I use my script "relate", which saves a bit of typing:

  relate knowitsheresomewhere etc

Though it's a little more useful on more complicated things like:

  relate knowitsheresomewhere /etc/ local -/usr/share

Which would find stuff like
   /etc/ ... local ... knowitsheresomewhere
but not in /usr/share.

The latest version of relate isn't as crazy as my last ones, by the way:

  http://search.cpan.org/~doom/App-Relate-0.10/

And if you haven't gotten into "ack"ing yet...

  http://search.cpan.org/~petdance/ack-1.92/